How Trustworthy is Your Sitter?
At first there were nanny cams. Now parents can look to sites like I Saw Your Nanny to make sure their nanny isn’t behaving badly. Reading about nanny sightings–tales of good and bad–is incredibly eye opening…even emotionally grueling.
As helpful as gadgets and technology can be in evaluating the trustworthiness of a babysitter, there’s simply no substitute for “old school” safeguards, like quality interviews, reference checks, and babysitter refigerator notes, for peace of mind.
Wondering what sort of questions to ask a prospective nanny or sitter? Here’s a start?
1. Ask tell me about yourself.
2. Why are you interested in this job?
3. Why do you want to care for children?
4. Do you have child care experience? If so, discuss.
5. How do you deal with conflict?
6. What do you enjoy most about working with children?
7. What annoys you?
8. What’s your discipline style?
9. How do you envision your day-to-day routine?
10. What did you like the most/least in your last position?