Congratulations, you’re expecting a baby soon! If you’re a new mom (or know one) who needs everything, and I mean everything, for baby, but money is tight right now, read on.
You’re going to love these 7 tips for gearing up for baby without busting your bank account or your stress level. The icing on the cake? They include eco-friendly ideas, too.
1. Ditch sposies. Or keep use to a minimum. New parents can save a ton of money by using cloth diapers instead of disposables. Don’t worry, cloth diapers today have come a long way from the old school “fold and pin” style–some even look like and feel like disposable diapers.
2. Buy the essentials, wait to buy the optional goods. You may have your heart set on that yummy Banana Fish Bubble Gum Diaper Stacker, but your baby isn’t going to love you any less if you can’t afford to buy it before she’s born. Instead, hold off until you have the essentials, like Under the Nile Organic Onesies and T-shirts (which by the way, trust me, you can never have enough onesies!) and then splurge!
3. Skip the huge expensive baby shower cake. Instead enjoy a smaller cake (and fewer calories!) and encourage friends and family to create a longer lasting “diaper cake” that baby will get to appreciate.
4. Buy a car seat with an extra base. Save a little cash by buying one car seat and an extra base, instead of two car seats.
5. Accept hand-me-downs and troll the Internet for deals. Shop online when possible. You’ll save $$ and gas costs.
6. Buy one high-efficiency laundry detergent for family and baby. Look for sensitive, baby safe laundry detergent that works for both baby and the rest of the family. You’ll save money on “specialty” detergent. Be sure to look for an eco-friendly brand!
7. Get your hands on a quality stroller. Save gas money and get exercise (hey, what mom doesn’t look forward to shedding old pregnancy weight?) by walking with baby whenever possible! A stroller can even help you save gym membership costs!