If you’re pregnant and encounter the “nesting” bug (a.k.a. nesting instinct), it’s probably a safe bet that you’ll wind up in the kitchen, cleaning like mad, at some point as you prep for baby. To prepare for baby, whether or not the nesting instinct kicks in, here’s what you need to “nest green” in the kitchen.
Green Supply Essentials
1. Organic Glass & Surface Cleaner
2. Baby & Mom Friendly All purpose cleaner
3. Floor or Tile Cleaner
4. Non-toxic stove cleaner, such as a citrus based product–better yet, make your own baking soda paste and vinegar cleaner.
5. Sponges or Utility Towels, like those by Loofah-Art (a Green Treehouse fav!) (Oh, by the way, keep in mind that reuseable, long-lasting sponges, especially plant-based sponges, get a thumbs up in the eco-friendly department)
What to Clean: A ‘Nest Green’ Kitchen Guide
1. The Refrigerator. Weed out the refrigerator, tossing out anything that is no longer safe to consume. Wipe down (or scrub!) shelves, produce or deli bins /crispers, butter compartments, and door shelves. Move on to the freezer. Finish with exterior wipe, don’t forget the handle and top (which tends to collect dust!)
2. The Stove. Clean burners, drip pans, stove top, knobs, stove window, and oven. Of course, wait for the stove to cool if necessary before cleaning!
3. Cabinets. Wipe down cabinets, inside and out. Declutter and organize shelves. Recycle or donate any items you no longer need. Don’t overlook the top surfaces of tall cabinets–oh, the dust you will find!
4. The Dishwasher. Wipe down the outside of the dishwasher. Sprinkle baking powder inside the dishwasher and apply a short rinse to remove any unpleasant odor.
5. The Microwave. Wipe down inside (including turn table) and out. To help remove food splatters, heat a cup of water in the microwave–stuck food often comes off easier.
6. Countertops. Use a food-safe cleaner, non-toxic counter cleaner, all-purpose cleaner, or soapy water to scrub down counters. Also wipe down any small appliances (e.g., toaster) or kitchen gadgets.
7. Floors. Scrub, scrub, scrub away! Wipe down mop boards and clean under appliances.
How to Nest Green When You’re Expecting
BornFree Takes Over the Cupboard