Family Road Trip Tips: Keeping Kids Entertained
Ah…the holidays…a time to be thankful, to rest, to enjoy quality time with loved ones, and to be trapped in the car with family for potentially hours on end. Did I say that? I meant, to sing and laugh in the car for hours on end-surely that’s what I meant.
For most of us, traveling is inevitable during the holiday season. If hitting the road is on the horizon for you and your family, here are a few road trip tips to keep your little ones happy and entertained:
- Save yourself the frustration and check traffic and construction schedules before heading out the door. There is a fairly small window of time before the kids start getting restless in the car; don’t spend it sitting in traffic!
- Pack the car efficiently so that:
- The cooler, snacks, and baby bag (if applicable) are easily accessible. Hint: A spare set of clothes readily available for baby (or you) is never a bad idea.
- You can easily keep an eye on the little ones in the backseat.
- The windows are visible. Staring out the window can help anyone who suffers from motion sickness-big or small. Have a plastic bag on hand in case your little one starts to feel sick (check for holes ahead of time!).
- Pack snacks and drinks. Pack bags of dry snack foods or bite-size pieces of fruit like grapes as a quick and healthy option. Also, though you may want to minimize the consumption of liquid on the road, it’s always handy to have drinks at the ready. You will have less fussy (and messy) traveling companions if you prepare ahead of time.
- Bring along some toys and activities. If you’re in need of some stimulating toys that are equipped for travel, check out these entertaining toys for baby or your tot!
Are we there yet? No.
- Bust out the games. ISpy, Twenty Questions, the License Plate Game, or the Alphabet game are all classics that can keep the boredom at bay and offset any temper tantrum lurking in the distance.
…Are we there yet now? No, one more tip.
- Embrace technology. To lessen the “are we there yet?” phrase that has plagued every road trip with anyone, ever, prepare for even more downtime. If the classic games and sing-alongs were done and over with 50 miles ago, it’s time for a technological upgrade. Download some apps before hitting the road. From music, movies, games, and locator apps (A MUST if you ask me, you can locate the cheapest gas station nearby or find the nearest rest stop!), the smartphone/tablet can truly be a lifesaver. Start perusing the app store and see what gold you can find before venturing out on the road, many of which you can download for free!
What family road trip tips do you have for keeping the kids entertained?
Flying instead? Check out our Go-To Guide for a Smooth Flight.