You've probably heard about a lot of celebrities going vegan in recent years. Jennifer Lopez, Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande and Jared Leto have all cut animals products from their diet. However, you might be wondering why going vegan might be the right choice for you.
While going vegan might not seem an obvious choice to you, you might be surprised at the list of reasons why making the switch could enhance your life and your health.
Reasons to Make the Switch
Many people choose to go vegan because of animal rights, but there are a multitude of other reasons why people adhere to a plant-based diet.
Below, I've listed five reasons why you might want to make the switch to vegan cuisine.
- Veganism may lower your risk of heart disease. A study published in 2014 in The Journal of Family Practice found that patients who went on a low-fat, plant-based diet were able to halt or reverse heart disease.
- Veganism may help improve some chronic health conditions. According to a few studies, following a vegan diet may help reduce inflammation, which is a hallmark of many chronic diseases. One study showed that patients with rheumatoid arthritis were able to markedly reduce their symptoms when following a strict vegetarian diet.
- Going vegan may encourage weight loss. This one may seem like a no-brainer, but it's still important to note. Going vegan, in and of itself, won't make you lose weight, though, but rather, you're probably going to lose weight because you're making healthier choices. If you went on a vegan diet and ate nothing but vegan cake and chocolate, you most likely wouldn't lose weight, but if you're filling your plate with an array of colorful vegetables and whole grains, you are going to feel and look better.
- Going vegan may help improve your mood. According to a study published in Nutrition Journal, reducing animal product consumption improves "short-term mood state in modern omnivores."
- Switching to a vegan diet may help broaden your palate and encourage you to try new dishes. When it comes to your diet, it's easy to get stuck in a rut. However, if you switch to a plant-based diet, it will force you outside of your comfort zone and encourage you to try new things.
Of course, going vegan isn't limited to food; according to the dictionary, vegan actually includes the specification of not using animal products either. If you're looking to go full vegan, even down to your baby accessories, you may want to consider purchasing one of the many beautiful vegan leather or vegan leather accent diaper bags we carry. After all, vegan leather is durable, stylish AND kind to animals.
Whatever your reason is for switching to a plant-based diet, whether it's to help the planet, reduce animal cruelty or improve your health, there's never a better time to start than right now.