Baby's Twelve Month Check-up
What to expect at your baby's twelve month doctor visit.
Article Continues Below Advertisement
What to Expect at Baby’s Twelve Month Well Visit
You’ve taken quite a few visits to the doctor this year to keep up with Baby’s growth. You are likely a pro with taking note of all the developmental milestones, tracking the height, weight and head circumference -- all while preparing for a few vaccination-induced tears.
A twelve-month-old can typically:
- Get into a sitting position without help
- Crawl or creep on belly or on hands and knees
- Move from sitting to crawling or lying on stomach
- Pull self up to stand and walk holding on to furniture
- Begin to stand momentarily without assistance
- Begin to take a few steps without support
- Pick small items up with thumb and index finger
- Bang, shake, drop and throw toys or objects
- Take objects in and out of container
- Try to imitate scribbling
- Imitate gestures (shake head for “no”) and words (says “oh-oh!")
- Respond to verbal requests and own name
- Look or point to correct picture when the image is named
- Begin to use objects correctly (drink from cup and hold up phone to ear)
- Find hidden things
- Be shy or anxious around strangers
- Cry when mom or dad leave
- Have favorite people or things
- Hand a book to someone to hear a story
- Repeat sounds or gestures to get attention
- Extend arm and leg to help when getting dressed
Your child may be getting a few new vaccines. They may include:
- MMR (measles, mumps and rubella)
- HepA (hepatitis A)
- Varicella (chicken pox
He or she may also be getting another dose of the following:
- HepB (hepatitis B)
- PCV (pneumococcal)
- IPV (polio)
Questions to Ask the Doctor
Like past appointments, you undoubtedly have a running list of questions to ask at this well-visit. Here are a few you may not have thought of:
- Is it okay to give my child cow’s milk?
- When and how should I wean my child from a bottle?
- How do I ensure that Baby is getting adequate nutrition if he is a picky eater?
- When should I take my child to the dentist for the first time?
- Is it okay for my child to sleep with a pillow and blanket?
What’s Next for Your Baby’s Well-visit Schedule
Depending on your pediatricians well-visit schedule, the next check-up may be at 15 months. It's possible your toddler will walk herself right into the doctor’s office for the next round of vaccines. Although she may have wised up and be a little more hesitant because she knows what’s coming!
Enjoy the next stage of life with your little toddler and batten down the hatches, because there is no stopping her now!
More Well-Check Schedule Articles
- Baby's One Month Check-up
- Baby's Two Month Check-up
- Baby's Four Month Check-up
- Baby's Six Month Check-up
- Baby's Nine Month Check-up
- Baby's Twelve Month Check-up
- Baby's 15-18 Month Check-up