Your baby is two months old and just like that, you are phasing out of the newborn stage. Things are changing rapidly and it’s time once again to take a trip to the pediatrician to get the stats on how Baby is growing. You are likely a pro now at navigating these visits, getting to know your child’s pediatrician better each time, and knowing generally what to expect.
Your Baby's Two Month Check-up
As you remember from baby's one-month check-up, the doctor will take measurements on height, weight and head circumference, and then rank Baby in a percentile to see how he or she is stacking up against other babies at the same age.
Remember that this is just a guide to see how things are progressing, so try not to be worried about anything the doctor is not worried about. In addition to the standard check-up, your pediatrician will assess developmental changes in your two-month-old and administer possible immunizations.
What to Expect at Baby’s Two Month Check-up
The doctor will again complete a physical examination of your baby’s body, checking her head, ears, eyes, mouth, skin, heart, lungs, abdomen, hips, legs, and genitalia. The doctor will want to know how often and how well Baby is eating, how Baby is sleeping now that he or she is awake for longer stretches, and your pediatrician may ask how many wet and dirty diapers are occurring each day.
Your pediatrician will ask you questions about how Baby is doing physically, socially and cognitively.
Two-month-old babies typically:
- Smile at people particularly when spoken to or smiled at
- Gurgle and coo in response to being talked to
- Turn head toward sounds
- Pay attention to faces and voices
- Follow an item with eyes and head that is moved from side to side
- Begin to act bored by crying or fussing when activity doesn’t change
- Begin to comfort themselves by sucking on hand
- Can hold up head and begin to push up in tummy time
- Begin to make more controlled movements with arms and legs
- Has good head control when sitting
With it's elegant, intuitive design, the MOBY Ring Sling offers a fashionable, functional baby carrier option for all parents and caregivers. Crafted from a high-quality, woven cotton fabric, the sling provides a more approachable, easy-to-wear alternative to the classic wrap design. It also offers both front and hip-carrying options, allowing...
Two Month Immunizations
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends the following immunizations:
- DTaP (diphtheria, tetanus, acellular pertussis)
- Hib (haemophilus influenzae type b)
- IPV (polio vaccine)
- PCV (pneumococcal conjugate vaccine)
- HBV (hepatitis B) - if not given at the one month appointment
- RV (rotavirus)
These are given in combinations so Baby won’t be getting six shots in one visit!
Questions to Ask
Continue to keep a running list of questions for your pediatrician. They may include:
- Immunization side effects
- Any developmental concerns you may have
- Vitamin D supplements if you are breastfeeding
- Advice on eating and sleeping schedules
Being prepared for what to expect at Baby’s two month check-up will help to alleviate any anxiety you may have. Be ready to talk about how things are going, how Baby is growing, and ask all the questions that you can think of. Sometimes the visit to the pediatrician’s office is as much about you as it is about your baby.
More Well-Check Schedule Articles
12% OFF Under the Nile Side Snap Kimono - White Stork$36.00 $40.80
12% OFF Under the Nile Convertible Romper - White Stork$36.00 $40.80
Under the Nile Solid Skull Hat
Babybear Shop Cheeky Baby Butter Organic Baby Balm$34.00
Woombie Organic Woombie - Vintage Linen$29.99
27% OFF Under the Nile Side Snap Footie- Bunny Print$24.00 $33.00
- Organic Baby